Shotley Peninsula Swimming Club
To join the SPSC you don’t have to be a champion swimmer – most of our members just enjoy the gentle exercise. But some have taken part in the Great East Swim at Alton Water and some train for Triathlon competitions.
All adult swimmers are welcome.
The Club was formed by three local ladies in 2004. The SPSC had its first public meeting in April that year attended by 54 people. A committee was elected to run the new club and a constitution was written.
Swimming started in June 2004 in the 25 metre Ganzoni heated indoor swimming pool at Ipswich Girls’ High School, Woolverstone. The pool was opened in 2002.
There are now approximately 200 members.
There is an AGM which is very well attended by members and is a relaxed social evening held locally.
- Members swim at Ipswich High School’s pool in Woolverstone.
- Run by volunteers for members to enjoy exercise, relaxation and sociability.
- Swimming is every week apart from a short break over Christmas and New Year.
- 7 hourly sessions per week – Monday 18.15 - 19.15, Wednesdays and Thursdays 18.00-19.00, 19.00-20.00 and 20.00-21.00.
- Each session is limited to a maximum of 30 swimmers with a lifeguard in attendance at all time.
- Members swim during the same hour each week.
- Non-competitive, open to all people able to swim aged 18 or over.
- Payment is due quarterly in advance, by direct debit.
- A year’s swim of 50 weeks costs about £200 (2015/2016).
- The SPSC is a non-profit club.
- Free parking.
Mobile: 07548 528336